Last week slipped by very quickly as usual. I must add that we finally got our exam results the previous Friday. I got 92% which put me at 5th in the year, so happy with that. This exam only counted towards 40% of the module though so the next one is more influential on final marks. The next one is coming a week or two after Easter, and counts for 60% of the module.
We've been studying differentiation and integration in Maths, however the level we are going to cover for now is fairly simple. It will get more complex when we do further Maths in a future module. In Marine Engineering Principles we finished off studying the basic parts of the biggest two stroke diesels and concentrated a bit more on the cams and timing gear. As you might expect, these big engines are too large for timing belts, so they tend to go with big chains, or use timing gears. The valves are operated hydraulically by cams, so no push rods and rocker gear etc (it would be too heavy, thus losing efficiency in the engine).
The week before I finally finished off my general fitting plate and begun the male and female interlocking plates. (see photo below of my marked up plate ready for cutting). As usual we were given two edges that you assume to be perfect and two that we needed to make flat and square. Once I'd made them flat and square, I marked them out for cutting. These have to be made very well so they fit together securely. It will be very obvious if bodged in any way.
Everything changed in workshop last week, and we are spending the next four weeks learning how to fault find in electrical circuits. Day one and two was last week, and what we covered was very basic. We learned how to use multimeters (properly for those who didn't already know how) and proved Ohms and Kirchoff's Laws in a circuit. We also had to show we could wire terminal blocks up neatly, safely and securely (See photo below). It was all simple and hopefully we'll get onto some more complex bits tomorrow. I'll let you know on that one...