Get rid of potholes in your area by reporting them (Click on the animation below)

Monday 4 October 2010

Whistle For The Wind

If you try to whistle on board, people tell you to stop, and I have found out why now.  It's not because the joyful tune of a whistle is not appreciated.  It is due to a superstition that whistling will bring the wind!

Firstly, I must be very brief as I am on the internet at the Seaman's Club in Bayonne, and I will get turfed out at 10pm (we have already been to Carrefour to buy some things for ourselves so that's why it's so late already).

Well, we certainly had wind today.  The Second Mate Marius told me it was blowing a force 9 - the river we're on was evident of this, with the rain pounding everything with mist, and white horses all the way down the river. The photo below doesn't really show much, but couldn't really step much further outside for fear of wrecking the camera.  So, due to the weather they couldn't load up the ship, thus we are still here!


Unfortunately for me, one of the tasks I had to do today was to go up to the starboard side Bridge Wing and dismantle one of the large spotlights so I could fix it up in the workshop.  It took a while as the bolts had all been painted over, and it wasn't a very fun time leaning over the side of the ship while I was pounded with wind and rain.  Couldn't wear my hat as it would have blown off.  Anyway, after about 15 minutes I had the lamp off, and descended to go back inside again.

Anyway, for some reason the photos here are so slow to upload that I won't have time to put any on.

Once I get the phone topped up I'll write another entry!

Adios.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds very stormy Tom, it's mild here at home but we have had such heavy rain since last Friday.
    Martin stops me whisling at home....not sure it's because he fears the wind though - LOL!

    Take care,
    Love Jane x

    ReplyDelete