Get rid of potholes in your area by reporting them (Click on the animation below)

Monday 8 February 2010

Maths Maths and some things new

I've just finished two rather satisfying hours of maths lecture for this morning.  I say satisfying, as everything we covered was easily within my grasp already and so it felt enjoyable to be ahead.  The pace of maths seems slow at the moment, however I'm sure this will change once they think everyone is up to speed.  It's also because of our 16 hours of extra maths last week.  How was it?  Wednesday was fairly enjoyable working through all the exercises, but then Thursday was a bit more frustrating, working on simultaneous equations with three variables.  However, once I'd managed to remember the method, I realised it to be fairly simple.  I just need to do a few more exercises today to make sure it's cemented into my thinking for the future. 

On Friday we had the first set of two new lectures. 
"M.E.P" (Marine Engineering Principles) was first.  The purpose of this module is to introduce us to what we are going to see on ship.  We will study various pieces of equipment and parts of ships so we aren't completely lost when we go aboard ship for the first trip away.  It certainly won't make us experts, but will hopefully mean that we have an incling of what is what on board.  However, due to equipment failure in the lecture theatre, the lecture was abandoned until this Friday.  We were handed our course books though, so I'm sure it will be a good idea to peruse this before the next lecture. 
The second new lecture was "Spiral Induction".  This is a class that will help us to study.  Therefore, we will cover, in detail, things like plagiarism (very important now) and how to write reports etc etc.  The class is taken by an ex Marine Engineer, and he seems like a really good bloke, treating us like adults.  The most pertinent ground rule set out (I think) was mobile phones - if your phone goes off in class it could end up out the window.  Don't want to forget that one!  If you don't hear from me for a few weeks then I think you can safely assume.

Anyway, after a weekend of hard graft sorting everything out in the flat Emily and I have moved into, we commenced on more Maths.  However, the big excitement for this week IS THAT WE HAVE TWO FULL DAYS OF WORKSHOP on Wednesday and Thursday.  The other group have this Monday and Tuesday so we can ask them what we are doing - I'm assuming it's welding from what has been said before.  It's also been mentioned to us that although we missed out on this last week, we will in no way be behind, as we have more than 600 hours of workshop time during the course.  600 hours of workshop time is an exciting prospect and reinforces why I think I'm doing the correct course for me.

Anyway,  more maths awaits.  After the mental workout I've had this morning I am really looking forward to going climbing today. 


No comments:

Post a Comment