Get rid of potholes in your area by reporting them (Click on the animation below)

Tuesday 2 February 2010

Week 2 - Part One - Metal Muddle + High Marks

After a great weekend this week began on a high and I was very much looking forward to the two full days of workshop on Wednesday and Thursday.  By 8:30am this had been replaced by a low.  During our "Morning Muster" it was announced that somebody had forgotten to order the sheet metal required for our workshop sessions this week.  This meant that our workshop days were cancelled to be replaced with two full days of maths.  By lunchtime on Monday group 1 looked near death (their workshop days are Monday and Tuesday, whereas ours are Wednesday and Thursday).   Anyway, once I'd got over the shock I headed to our Maths lecture to do some mind blowing transposition of formulae.  This is normally simple, but the questions they'd given us seemed to cause mass/maths confusion (sorry could not resist this) and even a Maths graduate was perplexed at some of the answers.

In the afternoon Chris and I went running for a rather gruelling hour and a quarter which should have taken us up to about the 9 mile mark now.  In three weeks I should be back at half marathon level, which should be good timing to be mentally and physically in tune, as my next maths test is on the 26th February.

On the subject of Maths tests, the results finally arrived for the initial Maths exam/"assessment" we had on the second day here...I got 97%!  After years of never really pulling my weight fully at school it was nice to get a mark of worth that resulted from study.  I could see all of the results and I came second in the year, only beaten by somebody who got 100%.  This made me feel a lot better about how much time it took me to complete the exam too.  I had finished in the last minute and almost everyone had left the room at that point.  My careful over checking defied my usual stupid mistakes and hopefully this is a trend that will continue.

All I have left to look forward to for this week now is the 16 hours of maths that awaits me in the next two days
...oh and also my climbing assessment tomorrow evening to show I can climb and rig ropes safetly.  I'm excited that I'll be able to test my new harness and climbing shoes!  I'll let you know on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment