Get rid of potholes in your area by reporting them (Click on the animation below)

Monday 26 September 2011

Landed in Townsville

We're at the port of Townsville and they have WiFi at the seamen's club, hence photos below.  I woke up just after 3am to prepare main engine for manoeuvring with Chief Engineer.  I'd forgotten how it felt over the last year, but it's like that feeling of waking up and heading to the airport for a holiday, only you have to be very on the ball (mistakes can be embarrassing, not to mention dangerous), and you don't have the inevitable relaxing feeling of arriving on holiday once it's done.  Luckily I remembered the recognised technique - immediate coffee.  Relief.  Oh, and this time it kind of did feel like a holiday, as we knew that once we'd docked and the provisions had turned up, we could go ashore.  

Due to a delay with provisions turning up, I didn't leave ship until noon, and had decided to go for a run.  Stupid time I know (due to it being about 30 degrees here at noon), but it was then or it wouldn't have happened at all.  I ran for an hour, and about twenty minutes into the run decided to try and make it up a small mountainous type hill/rock structure following the "goat track".  I gave up after about ten minutes of running up incredibly steep inclines, realising I would need a lot more time and water to get to the top - a shame really, but if we do come back here I will be ready!  I did also see a boat that goes across to Magnetic Island.  I read about the island on the plane and it would be great to go there - despite not remembering exactly what it was that attracted my interest.  So, I will found out how much that is too if we do come back.  

After the hours running was up I walked the remaining way back to the ship and was able to appreciate how quiet it is here.  Even in the middle of Townsville it seemed to be almost empty - perhaps that's the status mid Monday.  On ship, noise is one thing you never really escape from - unless you are right at the bow of the ship but for me, that's not often.  Outside the accomodation you can constantly hear huge motors blowing air into the accomodation and engine room, and even in my cabin the bathroom extraction is so powerful and noisy you can hear it loudly with the door shut - I now remember why I should have packed the speakers for the laptop.  You can't turn off this extraction in the bathroom either, as the extraction ducting is shared between many bathrooms, and there is only one switch (which this time doesn't seem to be as easily located as on Andrea).  However, as it's white noise it doesn't seem to stop me sleeping in any way.  I think due to the noise and general ship life I might even sleep more deeply, as my brain knows a state of light sleep could easily be awoken from some kind of rocking/noise/vibration!

We are currently loading Zinc in powder like form, and will leave for Ulsan (now I'm pretty sure I know the spelling - it's Eastern coast of Korea I think) tomorrow at some point.  It's estimated that we will arrive there on 10th/11th October (about 14 days voyage), which will make it my longest sea voyage to date.  Once we get there we will have to bunker and will probably take on nearly 600 tonnes of Heavy Fuel Oil.  Parts of the journey can be very rough I think, due to various points with cyclone like conditions - Chief pointed to east of the Philippines so I don't know if this is where.  Allan the other cadet said that at one point on the way over, most people seemed to be feeling the effects!  I will remember to keep my stomach well full as that stops any feeling of hunger which can easily start to make you think you are feeling sea sick (that's what I discovered last year - thought I was starting to feel ill - ate - felt better - kept stomach full!). 

My time on the WiFi here is limited so below are some photos so far, and now I must go.  After Korea, we head to China on ballast and should be picking up more new railway wagons.  Then, we should be heading back to Gladstone.  My next post will hopefully be from Korea!


Islands like this all around us.








First catch I witnessed





Shark catch - we were jumping around on deck avoiding it while it angrily thrashed around!


Cooky








Latest catch - a stingray.  Cooky prepared it for lunch two days ago, and it tasted really good.











Not the average home meat defrost...





Jhun, the bosun, drying out squid











Night time photo taken from compass deck - 8 minutes exposure time!


Sunset yesterday

1 comment:

  1. I not sure I could ever sleep with noise Tom! Glad all is well, loved the photos of the fish catches, the menu must be much better than last year. Take care, safe voyage,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete